Friday, July 27, 2012

Driving in the fast lane

So we have had a very busy last few weeks. After we got back from south Texas with our jr highers, we had a week "break" and then left for Jamaica with our high schoolers!

That was also a little hectic. Our plane got canceled and we got put on a plane that was the next day, but they told us it was the same day only a few hours later. So we got to the airport a day early and had to go home. We missed our first day of work in Jamaica, but our students are amazing. 2 out of the 3 work days they worked past quitting time, all the way to dinner which is a good 2-2.5 extra hours of work. Not many teenagers would do that!
We also has some really good conversation with students. Our students made new commitments to the way they wanted to live their lives once we got home! It was cool!
We got to spend a day in the Jamaican beach which was a little bit nicer than Galveston! And we got to shop up and down the beach and in a market with handmade crafts (that was an experience)! Jamaica is pretty sweet! Ya mon!
Then two days after we got home, four of my favorite people came to visit me in my Texas home! Mom, Dad, Corinne, and Kaylee drove down to come visit! It was a great few days of site seeing and showing off my family to the amazing people down here! Finally they get to meet the people I talked about non stop! I brought the family to all the great Texas restaurants that I love and some that I got to try for the first time with them! We got to play games and redecorate my room. I think my favorite part though was just hanging out talking and laughing with each other! I love my family!
Then last week was our Vacation Bible School for the little kiddos. John and I led the game portion! It was fun! I was Pilot Kim and I felt like a celebrity to some of the littlest ones! What a great experience! But it sure taught me that I am where I am supposed to be with the older students! I can handle the kiddos for a week but it quickly gets crazy!
Finally, this week is Summer Safari! A week long vbs type experience for our jr highers where we have a serving opportunity in the morning around our community and then we go out to some fun activity in the afternoon! We have served at a partner a location making algebra tiles an organizing boxes, we have packed care packs and hygiene packs, we have played bingo with adults with mental disabilities. We have gone go carting, to an aquarium, to the beach, to a place where there are a billion trampolines, and today we are at a water park! It has been an awesome week getting to know our students better, driving them all over town, listening to A LOT of Disney songs and laughing. I seriously have the best job in the world, other than maybe Daniel (watch out I'm taking your job)!
God has blessed me in awesome ways! God is so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment